• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Westford cop’s loaded handgun found in recycling bin

Looks like it could be 4-15 years, actually. The recycling bin out on the street would seem to be an area a minor could have accessed the firearm:

“A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a rifle or shotgun that is a large capacity weapon, firearm or machine gun that was stored or kept in a place where a person younger than 18 years of age may have access without committing an unforeseeable trespass, by a fine of not less than $10,000 nor more than $20,000 or by imprisonment for not less than 4 years nor more than 15 years or by both such fine and imprisonment.”

At least the duty weapon wasn't found by a kid in a restaurant bathroom like the last patronage hire clown with a drunk driving record.

I think this is the rare occurrence where a loaded firearm decided to try to kill itself rather than go off on a rampage and wipe out a bunch of people in a gun free zone.

was it Glock? If it was it better be in plastic recycling.
I think it was legit as-is. I believe Westford has single-stream recycling, so the metal and plastic can go in the same bin. If he had tritium sights on it, that's a no-no, that goes in the nuclear waste bin with the smoke detectors.

F-ing idiot.

Side note... The Westford Chief got it up his @ss that anyone renewing has to show proof of completing a gun safety class. Even if you already showed that when you got your permit last time. I almost had to take a class again until I remembered I had my hunting license.

"Inadvertently and unbeknownst to him, it was dropped into the recycling bin in his home," Ahern said.

He said it appears the indoor recycling bin was kept adjacent to Hartley's gun safe. At some point, the gun must have fallen out of the safe and into the bin before its contents were transferred to an outside recycling bin, Ahern said.

This is beyond belief. The gun fell out of the safe into the recycling bin?

Read more: Loaded handgun belonging to Westford cop found in recycling bin

"Inadvertently and unbeknownst to him, it was dropped into the recycling bin in his home," Ahern said.

He said it appears the indoor recycling bin was kept adjacent to Hartley's gun safe. At some point, the gun must have fallen out of the safe and into the bin before its contents were transferred to an outside recycling bin, Ahern said.

A cruel outsider might suspect that alcohol and stupidity might be involved.
And that if the laws were applied equally that this person would now become federally prohibited.

Bet that's not gonna happen.

If he has one of those trash barrel recycle units next to or near his safe I bet he laid it right on top of the junk as a place to put it down for what ever reason. Any way special treatment for them. They can think feel and screw up on a level far above us peons

As was recently discussed, the same DA indicted a shooter for improper storage in Harvard who shot himself. I'm sure with their credibility on the line they will also charge the cop similarly.

This is what happens, as Howie Carr would say, "When someone suffers from bad ice cube syndrome". When an individual is suffering from B.I.C.S., even stainless steel has the ability to jump or fly! The cop will probably get a paid suspension and be punished to the desk for a week or two.

Wonder if you foia'ed the fed's dark web buying sting if you'd run across an email that says: wire the money to this account and I'll leave it in the recycling bin.

As was recently discussed, the same DA indicted a shooter for improper storage in Harvard who shot himself. I'm sure with their credibility on the line they will also charge the cop similarly.

Is there a "mandatory minimum" for this?

Ch. 140, section 131L(d) "A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a rifle or shotgun that is a large capacity weapon, firearm or machine gun that was stored or kept in a place where a person younger than 18 years of age may have access without committing an unforeseeable trespass, by a fine of not less than $10,000 nor more than $20,000 or by imprisonment for not less than 4 years nor more than 15 years or by both such fine and imprisonment."

So yeah if this guy was a plebe, he'd be in serious, life changing trouble.

I’m going to guess they have to charge him (or it will look crazy bad in the press) but they will plea it down to something that avoids PP status and preserves his career. Nobody will be paying attention to the plea deal and life goes on.

If this was you or me 100% you lose your gun rights for life and you’d be very lucky to avoid prison time.

F-ing idiot.

Side note... The Westford Chief got it up his @ss that anyone renewing has to show proof of completing a gun safety class. Even if you already showed that when you got your permit last time. I almost had to take a class again until I remembered I had my hunting license.

This is something GOAL or Comm2a might want to know.

Back
Top Bottom